AUSTRALIA REMEMBERS

Member for Manly, James Griffin is encouraging people to pause, remember and reflect tonight (Friday, 31 May) to mark the 82nd anniversary of the raid on Sydney Harbour by three Japanese midget submarines.

Mr Griffin said it is important to remember the night World War 2 came to Sydney, but also to recognise that two nations which were previously at war are now close partners.

On 31st May 1942, the three midget Japanese submarines entered the harbour with the aim of hitting allied warships, including the heavy cruiser, USS Chicago.

Although the warships were missed, one of the torpedoes sank the converted Sydney Harbour Ferry, HMAS Kuttabul with the loss of 19 Australian and 2 British sailors.

All six sub mariners on the three midget submarines also lost their lives.

Mr Griffin said, “Each year, the Australia Remembers Northern Beaches and North Shore Committee, of which I am Patron, remembers the loss of life on both sides of the conflict with a Commemorative Service on Sydney’s North Head in my electorate of Manly.

“This years’ service will be held next Friday,7 June.”

Mr Griffin said, “The event is growing in number and this year is expected to attract 200 to 300 people.”

“A regular attendee is the Japanese Consul-General along with NSW Government and Local Government representatives, Defence Personnel, school students and the general public.”

Special Guest at this year’s Commemorative Service will be General The Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK AC (MIL) CVO MC (RETD) former Governor General of the Commonwealth of Australia.

Mr Griffin said, “On behalf of the Committee, I extend my thanks to Sir Peter Cosgrove and to all who work behind the scenes to make this annual event such a success.”

Photo: 2023 Commemorative Service